Krabi Crystal Lagoon
Thung Teao Forest Natural Park0
Krabi is well-known for areas of outstanding natural beauty and one place that should make your must-see list is the Crystal Lagoon in the Thung Teao Forest Natural Park, an unusual lowland forest rich in bio-diversity, complete with a nature trail and a crystal lagoon.
Located in the Khao Pra-Bang Kram area, the nature trek is a superb place to spot rare animals and plant species including the Pitta Gurney bird which was once considered extinct. The forest is lush with age-old trees stretching up to the sky, unusual forest creatures and limestone foothills that open onto a dazzling green pool.
There is a park office close by at Ban Bang Teao which offers some information although their primary goal is to ensure that the no-hunting zone is enforced and that no harm comes to this naturally beautiful sanctuary.
Crystal Lagoon Highlights
Thung Teao Forest National Park is a virgin rainforest home to spectacular flora and fauna unseen elsewhere in Thailand. A 2.7 kilometres nature trail provides a superb vantage point, plus there’s a waterfall to explore, although the major attraction is the crystal lagoon also known as the emerald pool. The emerald waters are wonderfully warm and crystal clear making them great for swimming in, there’s even a small ladder to help you get in and out.
It’s a stunning eco-tourist spot with visually beautiful aquamarine colours surrounded by tropical rain forest and a fantastic spot for bird watchers. The journey to the crystal lagoon begins at the wildlife sanctuary office and takes around 800 metres through a well-trodden forest path or alternatively you can follow the longer nature trail which winds through spectacular tropical rain forest - one of the few remaining in Southern Thailand. The nature trek should be taken slowly so that you get a chance to see some of the very rare animals living in this ancient woodland.
Krabi Crystal Lagoon
- Opening Hours: open every day during daylight hours
- Location: Thung Teao Forest Natural Park is situated in the Khao Pra-Bang Khram area which is located next to the Bang Teao Village, about one hours drive from Ao Nang.
- Remarks: Bring mosquito repellent and water if you’re planning on taking the nature trail, also do not leave any valuables such as cameras unattended as you swim as thefts have been known.
- Price Range: Admission is 100 baht for children and 200 baht for adults
- How to get there: head towards Amphur Klong Thom on highway No.4/ Turn left onto highway 4038 then right onto the rural road following the signs towards the Emerald Pool Waterfall.