One of the oldest restaurants on Koh Lanta, and almost completely rebuilt after the tsunami, Koala Bar is a Thai beach bar with an Australian tweak. Serving throughout the day, either on the beach, at the bar or in their restaurant, their food is definitely good value. The Thai food is always beautifully presented; their Pizzas are probably the tastiest on the island while their baguettes are perfect for lunch. The owner is keen on cricket and rugby so head here if you don’t want to miss a match.
- Opening Hours: Daily 07:00 – 22:00
- Location: Klong Dao Beach in front of Ocean View Resort
This restaurant should come with a health warning! ‘Only eat here if you are really hungry!’ The portions are huge from their ‘light breakfast,’ which is nothing of the sort, to their Sunday roasts and hotplates. Lanta Tavern is expensive for the island but the serving sizes make up for that and so you will often find it busy in high season.
- Opening Hours: Every day except Monday 08:00 – 22:00
- Location: On the left of the Long Beach road as you head south
Do not be fooled by the basic frontage of this restaurant, this is an authentic Thai food restaurant specialising in Thai north-eastern (or Issan) food, and extremely popular with Thais and westerners alike. The food is tasty, spicy and cheap. Try their specialities of papaya salad (som tam) and BBQ.
- Opening Hours: Daily 11:00 – 23:00
- Location: Opposite just past the large Petrol Station on Klong Dao Beach
Meaning Fat Monkey, an apparently ‘cute’ name for the owner’s Western boyfriend, this restaurant is great for those not able to agree on what they want to eat. Serving really good quality, burgers, pastas, salads and Thai dishes, there is surely something to please your taste buds here. The prices are very reasonable for the standard and portion sizes. Ling Uan’s Thai food has a spicy scale, so you can choose how hot and piquant you’d like your dish. This restaurant also has a large and popular bar and cocktails are a real speciality here, but if you don’t see something you like, ask behind the bar for a recommendation.
- Opening Hours: Daily 12:00 – 23:00
- Location: On the main road running alongside Klong Dao Beach, 100m from 7-Eleven on the beachside
- Tel: +66 (0)87 886 5017
A stalwart for partygoers, Mr Green is the late-night destination as it serves food till the early hours. However, that does not mean the food is poor; quite the opposite in fact, all the Thai food is freshly cooked while you wait and is very cheap. Try their green or red curries, or if you are looking for something a bit spicier, their pad krapow pork (moo) or chicken (gai) is really tasty.
- Opening Hours: Daily 10:00 – 03:00
- Location: Beachside as you hit the road in Long Beach
A German-run bakery, this brightly coloured (yellow and green) café is most noted for its German breakfast which utilises their own homemade rye bread. They also bake daily a range of other breads, cakes and pastries and you can also order cakes, to your design, for special occasions. This café can be really busy in high season and the staff tends to be a little slow, so do not pop in if you are in a hurry but plan to savour your freshly brewed coffee and breakfast.
- Opening Hours: Daily 09:00 to 17:00
- Location: Heading out of Saladan, Nang Sabai is about 400 metres on the left
- Tel: +66 (0)83 175 9670
If you are looking for somewhere for a special occasion, look no further than Red Snapper. Their two Dutch chefs serve excellent tapas and high-end western food in a tropical garden. Serving a range of good quality wines, do not expect a cheap night, but it will certainly be good value. During busy times of the year, booking is highly recommended.
- Opening Hours: Every day except Wednesdays 17:00 – 23:00
- Location: Heading south through Phrae Ae village, Red Snapper is about 150 metres past 7-Eleven on the right
- Tel: +66 (0)87 885 6965
A very pretty little café, offering healthy, home-grown, organic and freshly cooked Thai food at low, low prices. The staff members are very friendly and offer free Wi-Fi for a long as you want it, even if you only order a bottle of water! Be sure to try the yellow coconut curry and if you desire something special they will cook freshly bought fish and seafood to your requirements. Most of the fruits, herbs and honey you are served are from their own organic garden which surrounds this traditional Thai building.
- Opening Hours: Daily 07:30 till late
- Location: At the southern end of Klong Kong beach just before the 7-Eleven
- Tel: +66 (0)88 379 7334
Time for Lime
Describing itself as a Thai fusion restaurant, Time for Lime has enviable views over the sea and their modern concrete restaurant blends well into the surroundings. Sunset should be appreciated at least once here with a large glass of good-quality wine. The food and drink here is of a high standard, so expect a price tag to match. Every day they offer a tasting menu and have a happy hour with some eclectic cocktails between 15:00 and 18:30. All the profits from this restaurant go towards the Lanta Animal Welfare programme on the island.
- Opening Hours: Daily 12:00 – 22:00
- Location: Southern most end of Klong Dao beach, look out for the lime green flags