By far the best bookshop on the island, Catfish sells a wide range of second-hand books in a wide range of languages, as well as some pretty little souvenirs. The books are always in good condition but not cheap and you would be hard pressed not to find a book here for you. One of the few shops that sells birthdays cards and cards for other occasions which are beautifully handmade if a little expensive.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 07:30 - 22:00
- Location: Right at the end of the road and 250 metres on the left
Handmade Batik Shop
Barely a shop, but a must-try if you want a truly original souvenir. This little shop has no name but is a real find. Do not be put off by the look of the shed! The owner is very friendly and you can actually see how they make the batik sarongs. The guy here works late into the night making a few sarongs a day, all by his own hand and at really cheap prices. Don’t see the colour/design you want? Talk to the owner and he will even make a specific design for you in just a couple of days.
- Opening Hours: Daily but no set times, usually open till late
- Location: End of the main road, turn left, 200 metres on the left (just past Baan Café)
This is the largest supermarket on the island, with the widest choice. Lanta Mart is constantly improving their range of western goods to meet the demands of tourists. Specialist Swedish and English goods, teas, coffee, wines, spirits, pasta, cereals and a selection of cheeses and pre-packed hams are here. The prices are not cheap but comparable with the mainland. Try to avoid buying fruit and vegetables from here as they are generally poor quality but for pre-packed goods Lanta Mart probably cannot be beaten.
- Opening Hours: Daily 07:00 – 21:00
- Location: Next to Siam Commercial Bank
It may seem strange to have a chemist as a shopping destination, but whilst you are in Thailand, you might have cause to visit one. This pharmacist is run by two excellent chemists who speak great English and should be your first stop for any kind of mild ailment. Often they will be able to recommend something to help and you will generally not require a prescription. There are other drug stores in Saladan but their advice is not necessarily as reliable and the prices tend to fluctuate.
- Opening Hours: Daily 09:00 – 22:00
- Location: Just as you enter Saladan on the right next to Kontiki Dive Shop
A recent addition is the new clothing and souvenir market on the left as you enter the town. All the shops are tiny but here there is a really wide selection of board shorts, T-shirts, flip-flops, sarongs, sunglasses, jewellery and galleries with many selling the same goods. Make sure you shop around for a bargain and haggling is a must.
- Opening Hours: Daily 09:00 – 21:00
- Location: Three streets of small shops located on the left as you enter Saladan (opposite Lanta Mart)